Tuesday, May 15, 2007

A tribute to Dengle Sir

After a long period of procrastination (almost 20 years) I finally found some one who agreed to take a senior student like me thru' fundamentals of water colours. I met him in the winter of 2004, when I was between two jobs. In hindsight, I realize, I was lucky to get introduced to this amazing medium by Late Diwakar Dengle. He got rid of my fear of touching a colour brush to stark while drawing paper. He was a great landscape painter. He belonged to old school of painters. His teaching style was to encourage students to observe him and start painting. He believed in spontaneity. He was very enthusiastic about outdoor even when he had just turned 75 when I met him.

We went to lots of out door locations around Pune. He would paint and asked us to do the same. He said painting is a holistic experience. He would say "do not partition your painting into technique, form, colour masses etc. get started and paint what you see. Think less and paint more. Over a period of time you will get better at all the underlying departments of painting as you will understand them thru need". He was a big believer of learning by keen observation of both the teacher and the real landscape. I feel fortunate Dengle sir, impressed the art of macro painting method. He died two months ago (March 2007).

No comments: